Spartak Moscow have warned their fans to refrain from violent behaviour when they travel to support their club in a crucial Champions League encounter against Liverpool on Wednesday.The Russian champions are hoping to avoid further UEFA sanctions after being punished by European soccer’s governing body for the behaviour of their fans earlier in the campaign.”Do not give in to provocations and don’t get involved in conflicts with locals, soccer fans and the country’s law enforcement,” Spartak said in a statement on Monday.”We urge you to refrain from any other unlawful actions on the territory of the United Kingdom, including at sports venues and on routes used by fans.”UEFA opened disciplinary proceedings against Spartak last month after fans set off fireworks during their 1-1 draw against Maribor in Moscow.Photo Credit: ReutersThey were then fined 33,000 euros ($39,167.70) after fans displayed illicit banners, set off fireworks and blocked stairways during their 1-1 home draw against Liverpool in September.Spartak were fined and banned from selling tickets to supporters for their next away match in Europe after a flare fired from the visiting supporters’ stand almost hit German referee Deniz Aytekin in their group opener at Slovenian champions Maribor in September.Liverpool lead Group E on nine points and can reach the knockout stages with a draw against Spartak, who need to win the Anfield encounter to advance to the round of 16.
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Madrid keeper Courtois on 5-star performance: I never doubt myselfby Carlos Volcano2 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois was delighted with his performance for their Champions League defeat of Galatasaray.Real won 1-0 thanks to Toni Kroos’ goal, with Courtois making three exceptional saves.Courtois said, “Tonight’s was an important match, we had to win to get some breathing space in order to stay alive in the Champions League. It’s a stadium with a big atmosphere and they really get behind their team. We were in the match from the start, although they had two big chances at the beginning that I saved well. In the second half we controlled the match more, but we failed to kill the game off.”Everyone was really up for it and that’s the sort of intensity we have to produce in every game to win. We had chances that could have ended up in goals, we didn’t manage to score a second, but are happy to have got the win, although we need to improve on that. We’re going to keep on working and let’s hope we win more games.”He added: “I never doubt myself, but we know just what a club we’re at and I’m only interested in constructive criticism from my teammates and the coach. I’ll keep on training hard to keep performing to this standard.”
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – A Fort St. John resident is wanting to alert members of the public who are selling goods online about a new scam that could cause them to lose a decent amount of money.Justin Thomas said that he was contacted by someone claiming to be interested in the motorhome he was selling online.He explained that the potential buyer claimed to be from out of town and was purchasing the motorhome on their clients’ behalf, adding that the buyer’s financial secretary had mailed a cheque for RV. Thomas said that around a month later a cheque showed up, but it was issued in U.S. dollars for much more than his asking price for the RV.When he texted the buyer back saying that the cheque was for more than the asking price, he received a response saying that the financial secretary had issued the cheque for a number of items that the client was supposedly buying in Fort St. John, and accidentally issued the cheque for the cumulative total.“I knew then that, to me, it was a scam.”He said that he went in to speak to his bank manager, who told him that the cheque definitely looked legitimate but that she knew about the scam, which has also been reported in the Metro Vancouver area.The scammers will send the cheque to a seller for a much greater amount than their item’s asking price, and will ask the seller to then deposit the cheque and then transfer the remainder back to the buyer.Since the cheque has been issued in American dollars, Thomas said that his bank told him it would take at least 15 days for the cheque to clear. Instead of clearing, the cheque will bounce, leaving people scammed potentially out of a large sum of money. A similar scam was reported by the Dawson Creek RCMP six years ago, when a mail scam asked residents to cash a cheque and then wire $4,000 through Western Union to residents in the States and keep the remainder.Anyone who suspects a scam is asked to call the Fort St. John RCMP at (250) 787-8100, their local police, or the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm.With files from CTV Vancouver: https://bc.ctvnews.ca/selling-online-beware-of-the-overpayment-cheque-scam-1.4038297
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Registration is now open for the 6th Annual Spark Women’s Leadership Conference.This program is designed for the professional development needs of the women in the Peace Country.According to event organizers, this year’s theme is ‘Shift Up and Fuel’ and is to reflect the shifting energy that all women seek at some point in their lives. This conference will provide quality education and take away tools that will assist in communication, business development, personal branding, and leadership.Some of the program sessions will include topics such as silencing your self-doubt and building connection over complacency.Registration per woman is $375.00 before March 31 and $425.00 after March 31.Group pricing is also available.The Spark Women’s Leadership Conference is taking place on May 15 and 16, 2019 at the Pomeroy Hotel & Conference Centre.For more information and to register, you can visit sharingthespark.com.
Los Angeles: Twenty-eight members of the American women’s national football team have filed a suit against the US Soccer Federation (USSF) for gender discrimination, marking a new phase in a dispute that goes back years. The lawsuit, filed on Friday in the US District Court in Los Angeles, accuses the USSF of “institutionalised gender discrimination”, reports Efe news. Besides complaining that they are paid substantially less than their male counterparts, the women say USSF discriminates against them in terms of scheduling matches, the quality of physical training and coaching and in travel accommodations. Also Read – Dhoni, Paes spotted playing football together “A comparison of the WNT (Women’s National Team) and MNT (Men’s National Team) pay shows that if each team played 20 friendlies in a year and each team won all 20 friendlies, female WNT players would earn a maximum of $99,000 or $4,950 per game, while male MNT players would earn an average of $263,320 or $13,166 per game,” the suit said. This is not the first time the women’s team has challenged the USSF: in 2016 five players presented a wage-discrimination complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which subsequently authorised the aggrieved athletes to sue the federation. Also Read – Andy Murray to make Grand Slam return at Australian Open One of the original five complainants, former goalkeeper Hope Solo, filed a gender discrimination lawsuit against the USSF last August. The plaintiffs in the suit filed Friday are seeking to be certified as a class, which would give them the right to represent any of the dozens of players that have been part of the national team since February 4, 2015. The 28 plaintiffs include some of the biggest stars of international women’s football, such as Carli Lloyd, Megan Rapinoe and Alex Morgan. They are seeking several millions of dollars in damages, according to The New York Times. The US squad is the most successful in international women’s soccer, with three Women’s World Cup titles, four Olympic gold medals, eight CONCACAF Gold Cups and 10 Algarve Cups. Their counterparts on the US men’s team failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup. “Each of us is extremely proud to wear the US jersey, and we also take seriously the responsibility that comes with that,” Morgan said. “We believe that fighting for gender equality in sports is a part of that responsibility.” The women’s team are preparing to defend their title this summer at the 2019 Women’s World Cup tournament in France The filing of the lawsuit coincided with the observance of International Women’s Day.
Mumbai: Just two per cent of major automotive companies in India are implementing artificial intelligence (AI) projects compared with 25 per cent in the US and 9 per cent in China, according to the French technology services major Capgemini. Globally, just 10 per cent of major automotive companies are implementing AI projects, with many falling short of an opportunity that could increase operating profit by up to 16 per cent, said the report. Since 2017, the number of automotive companies that have successfully scaled up AI implementation has increased only marginally, from 7 per cent to 10 per cent. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalHowever, more significant has been the increase in companies not using AI, from 26 per cent to 39 per cent, the findings showed. According to the report from the Capgemini Research Institute, just 26 per cent of companies are now piloting AI projects, down from 41 per cent in 2017. “These findings show the progress of AI in the automotive industry has hit a speedbump,” said Markus Winkler, Executive Vice-President, Global Head of Automotive at Capgemini. “While some companies are enjoying considerable success, others have struggled to focus on the most effective use cases, vehicle manufacturers need to start seeing AI not as a standalone opportunity, but as a strategic capability required to shape the future which they must organise investment, talent and governance around,” Winkler said.
BENGHAZI- Gunmen on Sunday killed a former security officer who served under slain dictator Moamer Kadhafi in the violence-ridden eastern city of Benghazi, security and medical sources said.“Retired colonel Muftah Najem was shot dead,” said a spokeswoman for Al-Jala hospital where the body was taken.A security source said unidentified men fired from a vehicle as Najem was driving in Al-Sabri district, “killing him on the spot”. Benghazi, cradle of the 2011 uprising that toppled Kadhafi and led to his killing by rebels in October that year, has suffered a wave of attacks.Both security forces and foreign missions have been targeted, including a September 2012 assault on the US consulate that killed the ambassador and three other Americans.The government has struggled to consolidate control in the vast and mostly desert country, which is effectively ruled by a patchwork of local militias and awash in heavy weapons looted from Kadhafi’s arsenals.
With the regular season winding down, let’s take a look at how each Big Ten team stacks up in the battle for NCAA Tournament entry:Ohio State (23-7, 13-4)The injury to Purdue forward Robbie Hummel completely shifted the Big Ten landscape. It devastates the Boilermakers and gives an opportunity to both Ohio State and Michigan State to enhance their resumes over the next two weeks. In the event that OSU, MSU and Purdue all finish tied for first in the conference (a very realistic scenario), the Buckeyes would earn the top seed in the conference tournament based on tiebreakers. A win tonight against Illinois would clinch OSU a share of the Big Ten title. Thad Matta’s crew has won nine of its last 10 games and could be looking at a No. 2 seed for the NCAA Tournament if it wins the Big Ten Tournament. Otherwise, OSU will likely fit the bill for a No. 3 seed.Purdue (24-4, 12-4)The loss of Hummel to a torn ACL last week sucked the life out of West Lafayette after plenty of buzz about the Boilermakers’ realistic Final Four aspirations. Now, with perhaps their most valuable player sidelined for the rest of the year, Purdue will be saying, “What could have been.” The Boilermakers nearly blew a sizeable lead against Minnesota when Hummel went down. Unless they somehow capture the Big Ten Tournament title, his injury probably cost the team a No. 1 seed. Still, a No. 2 or No. 3 seed seems likely as long as Purdue doesn’t bow out too early in the conference tournament. Purdue can still win the regular season title if Ohio State falters against Illinois and the Boilermakers win their remaining two games.Michigan State (22-7, 12-4)The Spartans took advantage of Hummel’s absence in Sunday’s victory at Purdue. The NCAA Tournament Committee takes into account recent play and that victory certainly helps Tom Izzo’s squad, which had lost four of its last six games entering the matchup with the Boilermakers. Michigan State reached the National Championship Game a year ago as a No. 2 seed. A conquest through the Big Ten Tournament could result in another deuce for Sparty. Otherwise, a No. 3 seed appears probable.Wisconsin (21-7, 11-5)The quiet team that nobody talks about, Wisconsin has the same number of losses as both Ohio State and Michigan State. Just like those teams, the Badgers were forced to play a stretch of their schedule without a crucial player, forward Jon Leuer. The Badgers split their two meetings with all three Big Ten teams ranked ahead of them, making Wisconsin a dangerous sleeper in the conference tournament. A series of victories in Indianapolis could vault the Badgers from a likely No. 5 seed to a No. 3 slot.Illinois (18-11, 10-6)Illinois missed a critical opportunity to move a step closer to locking up an NCAA Tournament bid with a 62-60 loss to Minnesota on Saturday. Bruce Weber’s crew probably needs two more victories, whether they come against OSU or Wisconsin or in the Big Ten tournament.Minnesota (17-11, 8-8)The Gophers really needed to pull out last Wednesday’s game against Purdue, but even without Hummel’s services, the Boilermakers eked out a victory, delivering a crushing blow to Minnesota’s postseason hopes. Sunday’s victory at Illinois certainly helped Minnesota’s case and wins at Michigan and against Iowa this week would give the Gophers a more realistic shot at an at-large bid. A win or two in the Big Ten Tournament wouldn’t hurt either.
The Ohio State men’s basketball team is coming off arguably its biggest win of the season, taking down archrival Michigan, 56-53, but I still don’t care. OK, it’s not that I don’t care, but I just am not nearly as interested as I have been in previous years. Teams led by Jared Sullinger, Evan Turner and Greg Oden were the things my life revolved around. School, work, even relationships took a back seat to watching these teams play. Whatever the record, although they were typically fantastic, I would find the Buckeyes on television and shut out all else. But this season I have found it harder and harder to get really into OSU basketball games. Although the turnout at Woody’s for those students who couldn’t attend the Michigan game might tell you otherwise, there are many students who are dealing with the same indifference. The passion and pure unadulterated joy that came to campus last year after home victories against Duke and Indiana just has not been matched this season. But what is it that is keeping this talented team from garnering the following that previous Thad Matta-led squads have had? It is hard to pinpoint an exact reason as to what has changed from such a short time ago since there are so many factors contributing to the decline in interest. Potentially most clear of all is the inflated expectations this team has suffered from. Ranked No. 4 overall in the preseason AP poll, OSU hasn’t quite lived up to these lofty beginnings, dropping three games to some very talented teams in Duke and Illinois and at home against Kansas. But the drop-off from where they began to where they are now has been a rude awakening for fans who have become accustomed to a consistent top-10 team. Add the lack of new recruits this year, a perfect football season stealing the spotlight from basketball and what I am terming as the Jared Sullinger hangover, it is no wonder fans are showing a lack of enthusiasm this year. With the depth of the conference this year, every game is going to matter and home-court advantage will play into the Buckeyes’ chances at competing for the Big Ten Championship. The fans could by key down the stretch for OSU. Looking ahead, the Buckeyes will travel to Michigan State for another tough test against the Spartans Saturday at 6 p.m. before returning to Columbus to take on the Iowa Hawkeyes.
Croatia boss Zlatko Dalic is certain that they can defeat Argentina today in what will be their “easiest” game at the World CupThe Group D leaders are hoping to secure back-to-back wins in the World Cup for the first time since their impressive debut campaign in 1998, where they secured a third-place finish.With the likes of Ivan Rakitic and Luca Modric forming part of a star-studded midfield, Croatia head into today’s game at the Nizhny Novgorod Stadium hoping to book their place in the knockout stages by beating Argentina.And Dalic is confident that his players can do it after defeating Nigeria 2-0 in the World Cup opener.“I infinitely and endlessly believe in my team,” said Dalic, as stated on Complete Sports Nigeria.Top 5 best players from the international break weekend Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 11, 2019 After a fresh international break just came to an end, we need to talk about the Top 5 best players during this whole weekend.We…“We will have to play well if we want to win, as always some luck will be needed as well.“We have to show our quality and this is a real test for this generation.“The match against Argentina is the easiest game for us at the World Cup, because we have three points and we play against big opponents.“We have nothing to lose in that game. I’ll tell my players before the start of the game just to enjoy the spectacle.”The match will begin at 20:00 (GMT +2).