Abdel Aziz Al-Majidi stopped at a checkpoint

first_img April 25, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Abdel Aziz Al-Majidi stopped at a checkpoint News Help by sharing this information Abdel Aziz Al-Majidi, the editor of the newspaper Al-Shahid, was stopped at a checkpoint and prevented from entering Taiz province. center_img Organisation RSF_en last_img

City rate hike places burden on hotels

first_imgEmail Advertisement Print NewsLocal NewsCity rate hike places burden on hotelsBy admin – March 6, 2009 614 Previous articleStringer, O’Boyle, Earls and Quinlan all start against DragonsNext articleHope for Thomondgate residents admin THE 2.8% increase in commercial rates imposed this year by Limerick City Council was condemned as outrageous and out of touch with economic reality, by Michael Vaughan, Shannon Branch of the Irish Hoteliers Federation.Speaking in Killarney, He urged the Government to reverse the increase for 2009 and place an embargo on any additional hikes. Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “Our archaic system of commercial rates places a disproportionate burden on hotels and guesthouses by extracting taxes relative to the size of premises without any recourse to the level of turnover or overheads.“Limerick hoteliers are calling on the Government to implement a more equitable system of local government funding that supports businesses and employment within the hospitality sector.“In the meantime, the Government cannot stand by and allow local authorities to continue as if no economic crisis exists. It must veto all increases in rates and charges and compel councils to make up any shortfalls through increased efficiencies in their services and operations”.The IHF maintains that allowing unfettered increases in local authority rates and charges is a recipe for disaster.“What we need now are measures that bolster business and business confidence in order that they can drive the economy through current difficulties. The last thing we need is for local authorities to increase their taxes and charges without any account been taken of the ability of businesses to pay them or the impact that they are having on the survival chances of enterprises,” concluded Mr Vaughancenter_img Facebook Linkedin Twitter WhatsApplast_img read more

Fast reaction: 3 takeaways from No. 16 Syracuse’s dramatic 3-overtime win over No. 9 Army, 11-10

first_img Published on February 24, 2018 at 4:48 pm Contact Charlie: [email protected] | @charliedisturco Dom Madonna stood near the 35-yard line and looked downfield. Syracuse had taken possession in triple overtime and Madonna attempted to clear. He fired a full-field pass to a darting Ryan Simmons.A week after being blown out by then-No.4 Albany inside the Carrier Dome, No. 16 Syracuse (2-1) was able to complete a five-goal comeback and down No. 9 Army (3-1), 11-10, in triple overtime. The game started much like SU’s 15-3 loss to the Great Danes, with Army taking a 6-1 lead into the second half and holding the Orange scoreless for nearly 25 minutes after its first goal. Despite its struggles at the faceoff X, Syracuse broke out in the third quarter and used that momentum to come back and force overtime before Simmons put the game away.Here are three takeaways from Syracuse’s comeback.Comeback kidsLast year, Syracuse came from behind often. It even did against Army, only to fall on a last-second goal from David Symmes. For the first time this season, Syracuse found itself in a very similar situation.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textIn double overtime and man-down, Symmes wound up and fired. He had ended the game last year in the Dome and was poised to do so again. But goalie Dom Madonna made the save and Syracuse took possession. He had made three different point-blank stops, saving the game for the Orange.But Syracuse’s next possession resulted in a turnover, and Army rushed down the field in transition. Army defensive middie Anthony George darted toward the cage and fired, but the shot was wide. The next play, the ball sprung loose and triple overtime was forced.Then, Danny Varello, who had struggled mightily at the faceoff X, won the faceoff. The ball bounced into Syracuse’s defensive zone before Grant Murphy picked it up. A pass ended up in the stick of Madonna, who slowly walked upfield. Then, he found Simmons.Slow startAfter scoring the first goal six minutes in, Syracuse failed to create any offense the rest of the first half. For the most part, the offense rarely ever had possession. The Orange won two faceoffs and turned the ball over seven times.Despite the defense’s success — holding Army to one first-quarter goal and six total on 17 shots, forcing seven turnovers — clearing the ball also became a problem. The Orange finished the second quarter with a 50 percent success rate.Syracuse’s slow start was eerily similar to its offensive performance against Albany last Saturday: just one goal and little possession time.Into high gearNot even one minute into the second half, Syracuse had its first offensive opportunity. It was man-up and Stephen Rehfuss was wide open in front of the cage. But the pass from Brendan Bomberry wasn’t fielded cleanly, and the ball trickled on the ground. Syracuse maintained possession and Jamie Trimboli took the ball at the top of the field.He dodged down the middle alley and quickly changed his hands, firing before being hit by the Army defense. It was the first of six goals for Syracuse as part of a third-quarter run that pulled the game within just two and erased all worries of another weak offensive performance.Syracuse had struggled to gain offensive possession — and while it still lost in the faceoff battle often — it had just two turnovers as compared to seven in the first half. The Orange also piled on 12 shots in that frame, more than the entire first half combined.Smarter possession resulted in a third quarter that allowed for Syracuse to claw its way back. That momentum would carry into the fourth quarter and overtimes. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more