Boss is torn in ferry baby death trial

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsThey couldn’t have predicted that she was giving birth to a baby girl in the cramped space and, according to prosecutors, disposing of the 6-pound body in the bathroom’s trash can. Castro, whose trial is under way this week in Long Beach Superior Court, has pleaded not guilty to the first-degree murder of her newborn daughter. The Catalina woman maintains that she thought she passed a blood clot that night – Sept. 29, 2004 – and was stunned to find out that she had delivered a child. Prosecutors contend Castro was aware of the pregnancy but covered it up because the baby was conceived during an affair with another man – a man described in testimony Tuesday as “nasty” and “controlling.” They contend that the baby was born alive – and seemingly healthy – when Castro severed the umbilical cord and ended the infant’s life before the child could muster her first cry. Graphic photos of the naked, deceased baby were passed among jurors in Judge Gary Ferrari’s courtroom Tuesday, after a Los Angeles County coroner’s investigator, Denise Bertone, testified about the condition of the baby when her body was found by a janitor inside a trash bag at the Port of Long Beach on Sept. 30, 2004. Bertone testified that, in her opinion, the baby was born alive. A coroner’s pathologist has yet to testify about the cause of death, although a hearing held two years ago indicated head trauma and possible asphyxia were to blame. Mother is accused of slaying on Catalina crossing. No one seemed to know Leticia Castro was nine months pregnant. Not her boss, not her close friends, not even her live-in boyfriend – with whom she shared a 5-year-old daughter. So when the 26-year-old Castro disappeared into a bathroom of a Catalina Island express ferry after enjoying a chamber of commerce-sponsored dinner in September 2004, her companions felt no need to worry. Perhaps the most emotional testimony of the day came from Castro’s boss, Juan Luna, who is married to one of Castro’s cousins. At times, he appeared torn by his affection for Castro and what he had seen on the ferry. Luna testified that Castro was a good mother, a devoted worker and the breadwinner of her small family. He said he knew Castro was suffering from hyperthyroidism and worried about her health. Castro accompanied Luna and his family at a mixer hosted by the local chamber of commerce on Sept. 29, 2004. Before the dinner, he said, she took some Advil to alleviate what she described as a “pain in her waist.” On the boat from Avalon to Two Harbors and at the dinner, Castro seemed “fine,” Luna testified. But minutes into the return trip on the ferry, he said, Castro disappeared into the “starboard side” bathroom. Finally, after the ferry docked, Luna said, she staggered out. “She was sweating and she was bleeding,” he said. Then her body went “loose,” he said, and she fainted. Despite her protests that she wanted no medical attention, Luna said, paramedics delivered her to Avalon Municipal Hospital. A medical intern, Alisha Riggs, delivered Castro’s full-term placenta, indicating that she had given birth to a baby. Riggs indicated that it was entirely plausible that Castro’s friends and family knew nothing of the pregnancy, and even that Castro might have been unaware of the pregnancy herself. But she said she could not envision a scenario where Castro’s ignorance of her condition continued after the birth. “She could have not realized she was pregnant,” she said. “But once she delivered a baby, I think she would realize that she delivered a baby.” [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Mamadou Sakho tells the Crystal Palace who he wants them to sign

first_img Loftus-Cheek celebrates with Palace talisman Wilfried Zaha 1 Mamadou Sakho has urged Crystal Palace to sign Ruben Loftus-Cheek on a permanent deal this summer.The Chelsea starlet enjoyed an incredible breakthrough season with the Eagles, earning a first England cap against Germany and culminating a World Cup call-up.He also scored twice as well as getting three assist despite a spell on the sideline with an injury.After securing a mid-table finish for the club, Loftus-Cheek has technically returned to his parent club at Stamford Bridge.But Sakho, a player who arrived at Selhurst Park at the same time as the midfielder, believes he should return back there.Sakho said: “I would say yes. Ruben is really talented and has a lot of quality.“His season was a little bit difficult for him as he had a long-term injury but when he came back we saw the difference that he can make on the pitch.“So yes I think that it can be a really good deal for the club.“You have a few people in the club that are trying to make the best choice about the players and to have a good squad next year.”last_img read more