Demolish before a child dies – warning

first_imgTwitter WhatsApp NewsLocal NewsDemolish before a child dies – warningBy admin – September 27, 2012 860 Linkedin Print Facebookcenter_img Ballinacurra Weston residents up-in-armsDERELICT, burned out houses in the Balinacurra Weston area will claim the life of a child unless they are demolished soon, it has been warned.The Ballinacurra Weston Residents Alliance (BWRA) held a street protest last week to highlight their fears and to demand that the people now responsible for delivering regeneration give them a bigger say.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Carrying placards which read “Demolish before a Child Dies” and “Work With Us”, the residents made their protest .“We want these burned out, derelict houses demolished. They’re a serious danger,” said BWRA chairperson, Matt Collins.“No one should have to live like this – we’ve been coping with this for five years. Now that the Regeneration function has been taken over by City Council, we are hoping they will work with us. We’re here and we’re ready to talk. “The forums which were set up at the start have not worked, They are not representative of 95 per cent of the population living here. We are,” he said. Cllr Maurice Quinliven (SF) attended the protest and Cllr Cormac Hurley (FG) sent apologies.“You only have to look around the area. There has been no improvement in five years. It’s like something out of a war zone,” commented Mr Collins.In a statement issued to the Limerick Post, the Office of Regeneration at Limerick City Council, said it is “committed to engaging with residents in St Mary’s Park, Moyross, Ballinacurra Weston and Southill to deliver the planned programme.To this end, channels of communication have been set up at a community level to facilitate engagement from local representatives and members of the public with the Office of Regeneration.These channels consist of three tiers: individual meetings with residents through weekly clinics and ongoing engagement with the community workers; the monthly regeneration committees and a city wide consultation forum in the designated areas.Director of Limerick Regeneration, Oliver O’Loughlin, said he met community representatives. He stressed that all are urged to become actively involved in the regeneration process through the structures that have now been put in place.“Consultation with the communities is crucial as over the next five years, the delivery of the physical regeneration process will be well underway.  We need the communities to be part of this process and we are facilitating consultation with them in an open and transparent manner through these channels”. Email Advertisement Previous articlePublic invited to UL to celebrate 40th anniversaryNext article16 embassies support Raheen trade event adminlast_img read more

Press release: Charity Commission orders military charity to wind up

first_img Email [email protected] The public rightly expect charities to demonstrate the highest standards of integrity and conduct. What we saw in this case fell short of that: not only was this charity mismanaged, we also saw evidence of behaviours and attitudes that have no place in charity. The organisation has now wound up, and I am pleased that we have ensured its assets are redistributed by another charity. Press mobile – out of hours only 07785 748787 A second trustee present at the time of the undercover recording failed to intervene or challenge the comments made. The offensive merchandise was ordered on more than one occasion, and the trustees did not seek to later return or dispose of the stock. Further highly offensive and inappropriate t-shirts depicting Nazi symbolism was advertised for sale on the charity’s online store. An unannounced visit to the charity’s premises later confirmed that the relevant materials had been removed from sale, however offensive and inappropriate merchandise was still displayed on the charity’s online store in February 2017. The inquiry also found wider concerns about the charity’s management and governance.The Commission issued an order under section 84B of the Charities Act 2011 to direct the trustees to wind up and dissolve the charity, in the public interest and because it was unlikely that the charity could continue to operate beyond the end of the inquiry. The trustees complied with this order on 22 March 2018 and the charity was dissolved and removed from the Register of Charities on 23 March 2018.The charity’s remaining funds were transferred to another charity, identified by the Commission, with similar objects to the charity. They will be used to provide support to wounded veterans and their loved ones.The full report of the inquiry is available on GOV.UK.Ends.Notes to Editors Under new powers granted to it under section 84B of the Charities Act 2016, the Commission has the power to direct charity trustees to wind up and dissolve a charity. On 22 December 2017 the Commission published a public notice of its intention to issue the order under section 84B (2) of the Act. This was published on the Commission’s website for a period of 60 days. The Commission did not receive any representations following the issuing of public notice. After the period for representations expired the trustees were directed to take specified action to wind up and dissolve the Charity and have its remaining property transferred to a charity with the same or similar purposes. The programme ‘The Great Military Charity Scandal’ was broadcast on BBC One Scotland at 19:00, Tuesday 8 November 2016. The Charity Commission is the independent regulator of charities in England and Wales. To find out more about our work, see the about us page on GOV.UK. Search for charities on our online register.center_img Michelle Russell, Director of Investigations, Monitoring and Enforcement at the Charity Commission said: In a report published today the Commission sets out its findings, conclusions and regulatory action taken following its investigation into 1st Knight Military Charity. The charity, which had objects to assist members of the armed forces and their dependents or carers, was ordered to and has now been wound up.The Commission’s inquiry was opened on 8 November 2016 after undercover reporting for a BBC Scotland programme exposed anti-Islamic comments made at the charity’s shop by a trustee and volunteer, as well as the sale of merchandise displaying anti-Islamic and derogatory comments and imagery.“Wholly offensive and inappropriate” materials and commentsThe inquiry concluded that there was misconduct in relation to offensive material available for sale at the charity’s premises and comments recorded as part of the programme. The Commission’s report highlights: Press officelast_img read more

5 surprising ways to save on your Fourth of July barbecue

first_img ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr by: Catey HillThis July 4th, your backyard barbecue may take a big bite out of your budget.The cost of a 10-person BBQ has jumped more than 30% in the past decade to an average of $68 this year, according to data released Wednesday by Rabo AgriFinance. Even in just the past year, prices on many items have risen: Beef is up 7.3%, lettuce 6.2%, tomatoes 6.8%, bread 4.4% and pickles 3.6%, and chips 1.3%. Even soda and beer have risen in price (0.9% and 0.4%, respectively).There are a variety of factors impacting food prices. Recent hikes in beef prices are due in part to small cattle herds, which hurt supply, and consumers’ demand for more and better beef as incomes have risen. Lettuce and tomato prices were influenced by rough winter weather in some areas.To be sure, some staples are decreasing in cost. The price of a chicken breast has declined 1.9% in the past year (serving this instead of beef could save you 10%), cheese has fallen 2.2% and ice cream 4.4%, according to Rabo AgriFinance. continue reading »last_img read more