Top StoriesRestore Extension Of Limitation Period Amid COVID Second Wave : SCAORA Moves Supreme Court LIVELAW NEWS NETWORK16 April 2021 7:37 AMShare This – xCiting the threat posed by the COVID-19 second wave to litigants and lawyers, the Supreme Court Advocates on Record Association has approached the Supreme Court seeking the extension of limitation period for filing of cases in courts and tribunals.The Association seeks the restoration of the suo moto order passed by the Supreme Court on March 23, 2020, which had extended the limitation…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginCiting the threat posed by the COVID-19 second wave to litigants and lawyers, the Supreme Court Advocates on Record Association has approached the Supreme Court seeking the extension of limitation period for filing of cases in courts and tribunals.The Association seeks the restoration of the suo moto order passed by the Supreme Court on March 23, 2020, which had extended the limitation period with effect from March 15, 2020, until further orders.Last month, on March 8, 2021, the Supreme Court ended the extension of limitation with effect from 14.03.2021 by closing the suo moto case, observing that the COVID-19 situation has improved.Saying that there has been a deterioration of the COVID-19 situation since then, the SCAoRA seeks the revival of the limitation extension.”…after the passing of the above order(of March 8) there has been a considerable and instrumental change in the circumstances all across the country with regard to the Covid cases and the same has taken a serious turn and has also affected the movement of the general public at large”, the application says.It was on March 23 last year that the Supreme Court extended the limitation period for filing in all courts and tribunals with effect from March 15, 2020, until further orders. A bench headed by the Chief Justice of India passed this order suo moto taking note of the difficulties posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.On May 6, the Court extended the application of the order to proceedings under Arbitration Act and Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act.Later, in July 2020, the SC clarified that this order will apply to Section 29A and 23(4) of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996 and Section 12A of the Commercial Courts Act, 2015.The bench had passed an order in July last year in the suo moto proceedings allowing the service of notice through WhatsApp and other online messenger services.While lifting the extension of limitation on March 8 this year, the Supreme Court said that the period from 15.03.2021 to 14.03.2021 will stand excluded from the limitation period.In cases where the limitation would have expired during the period between 15.03.2020 till14.03.2021, the Court said that notwithstanding the actual balance period of limitation remaining, all persons shall have a limitation period of 90 days from15.03.2021. In the event the actual balance period of limitation remaining, with effect from15.03.2021, is greater than 90 days, that longer period shall apply.The period from 15.03.2020 till 14.03.2021 was also stand excluded in computing the periods prescribed under Sections 23 (4) and 29A of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996, Section 12Aof the Commercial Courts Act, 2015 and provisos(b) and (c) of Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 and any other laws, which prescribe period(s) of limitation for instituting proceedings, outer limits (within which the court or tribunal can condone delay) and termination of proceedingsNext Story
TUNING OUT THE FAKE NEWS MEDIAMaking Sense by Michael ReaganThe stock market is soaring.The economy is improving and employment is up.But all you get from the Fake News Media (FNM) every night is more Trump bashing.Night after night, as one phony scandal involving the president, his family or his administration fizzles into nothing and is replaced by another, TV and cable channels bring on their biased reporters to bash Donald Trump.No wonder everyone’s I meet is bummed – especially those who watch nothing but the FNM’s TV and cable channels.I can always tell someone who watches nothing but the FNM, because when you meet them they ask, “So what do you think about your president now?”I also run into people all the time who didn’t vote for Trump and want to feel good about the president.But when they turn on their TVs or pick up their shrinking newspapers, all they get are negative news stories about Trump.I’m waiting for the fakers at CNN, MSNBC or the New York Times to do a hard-hitting investigation exposing how the president ties his shoes wrong every morning.It sure would be nice if there were a place to go where you could just get honest news and analysis, not fake news and opinion.But what paper can you read, or what station can you watch, where you can trust what you are told?There’s no one in the media world anymore that makes you feel good about anything to do with the country, the economy or politics.The FNM sure aren’t doing it. They can’t find positive news anywhere because, like rabid liberal dogs, they won’t let go of non-stories like the Russian-Trump collusion fable.It’s been going on for almost a year now, right?And still there’s no proof that Trump or his campaign colluded with the Russians to affect the 2016 election – or affect anything else, right?But as that undercover Project Veritas video of CNN news producers proved this week, the FNM don’t let truth or facts deter their mission to destroy Trump.They only care that the bogus Russian stories and their other Trump bashings bring them higher ratings or readers’ eyeballs.Negative stories about Trump or what he is trying to do to protect America from terrorists or drain the swamp in Washington is all the FNM has time to talk about.Take ObamaCare, please. Everyone agrees it is a disaster that needs to be fixed, but somehow everything the president and Republicans want to do to fix it is morally wrong or stupid.All the FNM talk about is that Republicans haven’t voted for their healthcare bill yet — and that if they pass it, it will mean the end of America as we know it.The FNM’s journalists also parrot – without the slightest bit of skepticism – the absurd claims by socialists like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren that the GOP bill (which hasn’t been finalized yet) is so mean it’ll quickly kill a couple hundred thousand poor, sick or disabled Americans.The Fake News Media have been feeding us so much garbage about Trump for so long, the American people don’t know what or who to believe.Now we have CNN firing three top investigative journalists for their fake story about some alleged connections between Trump officials and a Russian investment fund.CNN says the trio resigned. Fine.CNN says it retracted their story because it wasn’t properly vetted and didn’t meet their “editorial standards.” Good.More reporters will probably get the ax at CNN, but the network’s already shaky credibility as a news source has been seriously damaged even among liberals.For more than a year CNN has been on a mission to destroy Trump and make a buffoon of him, but all they’ve done was prove they were the Fake News Channel Trump always said they were.—Copyright ©2017 Michael Reagan.FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail
Help wanted: Transportation Coordinator,Â Futures Unlimited, Inc. is hiring a management-level position.If you have fleet or public transportation experience along with demonstrated supervisory skills, this might be the career-move for you.The transportation coordinator is responsible for the agencyâ€™s overall transportation services (Wellington Area Local Transit and agency fleet vehicles) to maintain optimal use of vehicles, facilities, and personnel. Supervisory responsibilities are to be carried out in accordance with agency policies and applicable laws. This position works directly with the chief financial officer and management staff.High School diploma/GED is required with advanced training in business administration, transportation or other trade-related field preferred.A minimum of three yearsâ€™ experience in fleet or public transportation and a minimum of one-year management experience including responsibilities related to the management and supervision of staff.Salary is commensurate with experience.Apply online at futures-unlimited.org.*To be considered for this position you must submit an online application.*
11 January 2010South African President Jacob Zuma and Fifa president Sepp Blatter each sent their condolences to Togo following Friday’s terrorist attack on the Togolese football team in Angola, while insisting that the incident had no bearing on South Africa’s hosting of the 2010 Fifa World Cup™.Angolan separatist rebels attacked the Togolese team bus in Cabinda on Friday, two days before the opening of the 2010 African Nations Cup. Three people – the assistant coach, a press officer and the bus driver – were killed in the attack.Kodjovi Obilale, Togo’s reserve goalkeeper, was badly wounded, and was airlifted to South Africa, where he underwent surgery in Johannesburg’s Milpark Hospital on Sunday.While Togo pulled its team out of the event, the African Nations Cup kicked off in Luanda on Sunday, with Mali holding the hosts Angola to a 4-4 draw in the opening game.President Zuma, who flew to Luanda to attend the opening ceremony, said the “shocking and unacceptable attack on the Togolese team should not be blown out of proportion, but should serve as impetus for the African continent and the world at large to work even harder to rid the world of terrorist activity and violence wherever it surfaces”.In a statement issued by the Presidency on the weekend, Zuma wished those injured in the attack a speedy recovery, while extending South Africa’s support to the Angolan government “in its ongoing hard work of bringing about total peace and stability in the country”.Zuma “reiterated that South Africa remains one hundred percent ready to host the Fifa World Cup, and dismissed speculation that the Angolan incident had any bearing on the World Cup tournament in South Africa.”Sepp Blatter, meanwhile, in a letter sent to African Football Confederation (CAF) president Isaa Hayatou, said that Friday’s attack “cannot dispel the fact that Africa has written some of the greatest chapters in the history of world football. Africa is the birthplace of some of the greatest players ever to have graced the game.“The continent will soon play host to the Fifa World Cup for the very first time, as is its due,” Blatter said. “I have faith in Africa, and it is with this faith that together we will organise world football’s showcase event in 2010.”2010 Local Organising Committee spokesman Rich Mkhondo said there was “no link between what happened in Angola and South Africa’s preparations to host the 2010 Fifa World Cup.“We have prepared for any eventuality,” Mkhondo said in a statement. “Given South Africa’s exemplary record of hosting major events, we remain confident that everyone coming to South Africa will have a safe and secure experience in our country.”SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
Are you struggling to understand the benefits that you as a wounded service member may be entitled to? Or are you a military family caregiver and need on-the-go financial information concerning your wounded loved one? If so, there’s an app for that!In November 2011, the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) released the Wounded, Ill and Injured Compensation and Benefits Handbook–a smartphone application designed to provide service members and their families with access to comprehensive information upon separation or retirement as a result of a serious (SI) or very serious (VSI) injury.The comprehensive information included in the mobile application covers topics of recovery, rehabilitation and reintegration. The electronic version also includes information relating to medical care, DoD pay and allowances, disability compensation and benefits.The smartphone application also lists toll-free numbers for TRICARE regional contractors, behavioral healthcare providers and other TRICARE programs.Both the handbook and smartphone application were developed by the DoD, Departments of Veterans Affairs, Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education and the Social Security Administration.This free application is available for download on the App Store and the Google Play Store.
OTTAWA – Environment Minister Catherine McKenna says transport trucks and school buses built after 2020 will have to be more efficient and produce fewer greenhouse gases.New regulations announced today require improved technology to make engines more efficient and trailers hauled by heavy trucks easier to pull, all with an aim of reducing fuel-consumption and cutting tailpipe emissions by about 25 per cent per vehicle.McKenna says the new emissions regulations for heavy transportation vehicles are expected to cut tailpipe emissions about six million tonnes a year by 2030.The regulations will cost the industry more than $6 billion to pay for the new technology but McKenna says it will save $1.7 billion a year from reduced fuel consumption by the time the regulations are fully implemented.Heavy-duty vehicles such as transport trucks, school buses, garbage trucks, delivery vans and even some of the largest pick-up trucks, account for almost one-tenth of Canada’s total greenhouse gas production each year.Six million tonnes is but a small fraction of the nearly 200 million tonnes of emissions Canada must eliminate if it is to meet its commitment under the Paris climate change accord to get its annual emissions down to 30 per cent below where they were in 2005 by 2030.
Check out our latest soccer predictions. We write to you with elbows tucked, stroopwafels out — and a new understanding of what’s possible in soccer. Just half of the second-leg games in the Champions League’s round of 16 are complete, and already two titans of the sport are gone thanks to a youthful rebellion and instant replay. The prediction models are as surprised as the rest of us.First, to Real Madrid’s dismantling Tuesday. Coming into the second leg of its tie against Ajax, Madrid led 2-1 and had a 75 percent chance of moving on in a tournament the club has won four of the past five years. Ajax was technically better than Madrid in the first leg, and our model gave the Dutch team some respect as a result. But it’s one thing to be Madrid’s equal and another to beat it 4-1 at the Bernabeu, exposing seemingly each of Los Blancos’ flaws since they lost Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus at the end of last season. Led by homegrown phenoms Frenkie de Jong and Matthijs de Ligt, Ajax played the platonic ideal of free-flowing soccer, pirouetting through the midfield and capitalizing on Madrid’s missing captain, Sergio Ramos, who purposely got himself booked at the end of the first leg so he could be fresh (and cardless) for the quarterfinals. Instead of living to fight another day, Ramos serves as a cautionary tale.Ajax’s win was surprising; Manchester United’s was almost inconceivable. Heading into its second leg against Paris Saint-Germain, Man U had just a 3 percent chance of moving on — and its play on Wednesday showed why. United lost the possession game 72 percent to 28 percent and trailed substantially in shots. This did not appear to be a team that could overcome a 2-0 deficit from the first leg. Yet PSG gifted Man U two goals on defensive errors and could manage only one first-half goal of its own, putting United just one goal from winning on away goals. But Man U couldn’t gain much possession, let alone break through for a goal. But then the replay gods took pity. In the 90th minute, United’s Diogo Dalot fired the ball in the general direction of PSG’s goal, and PSG’s Presnel Kimpembe leapt to block it once it had crossed into the box. His elbow came with him, and as it separated from his chest, it knocked into the ball. The referees initially called a corner but then went to video review. The (controversial) judgment changed the call to a handball. A penalty shot was awarded, and Marcus Rashford converted it for a tie-breaking third road goal. The final whistle blew a few minutes later, and Manchester United had somehow pulled off a miracle.Two other games happened, we’ve been told. Porto had its own late drama Wednesday against Roma, including another penalty awarded on video review; the Portuguese squad wasn’t favored to move on heading into the match. And on Tuesday, Tottenham finished off Borussia Dortmund as calmly as Harry Kane finishes his penalty kicks.All of this leaves some havoc in our projections, and we still have four games to go in this round. Buckle up, and please keep your elbows inside the vehicle at all times.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, January 15, 2018 – Nassau – Kayley Simon and her classmates packed a whole lot of love into a single shoe box and what started out as an idea to give gifts to others less fortunate instead of exchanging with classmates turned into a class project that taught the true meaning of the season. Kayley, 11, is a sixth grade student at Windsor Preparatory School in western New Providence. Shortly before the holidays, Kayley wrote to her teacher, Mrs. Courtnee Romer, sharing her excitement about the holidays, telling her she could “hardly wait to see the bright lights and the awesome Christmas trees all beautifully decorated.”She confessed she was especially excited about opening her presents and then she stole her teacher’s heart with these words: “As we at Windsor prepare to have our Christmas celebrations, I can’t help but think of all those children who are less fortunate than I. That’s why this year, I would like to share an idea for a Christmas initiative called ‘A Box of Smiles.’ This year, I would like to invite my class to help me give to the children at The Children’s Emergency Hostel. It would be nice to help put a smile on their faces. Instead of exchanging gifts, we can use the money ($25-$30) to buy small items that can fit into a box, the size of a shoe box. Some of the items can be coloring books, boxes of crayons, card games, pencils, pens, erasers, small toys etc. Each student will decorate and fill their own box personalized for one child at the Hostel.”She also asked if each student in the class could make a Christmas card with a note to the recipient and include it in the box. She offered to decorate a drop box and with the teacher’s permission, she would start the collection process.“All of us have so much to be thankful for and I believe that it would be so beautiful to make this Christmas a very special one for these children,” Kayley wrote and her teacher’s approval was instant.Over 20 shoe boxes from just about all of her classmates came pouring in along with cards and gifts and on December 18, one week before Kayley would be opening her own presents in a family home with a mother, father and two siblings. Kayley and her mom delivered the gifts to children who would not be spending that special day of the year like the Simons but would know that someone – many someones – remembered them and cared. They would know that the season meant love.Press Release: DPA News Related Items: