As Serena Williams returns, Venus says her game hasn’t left

first_imgLOOK: Iya Villania meets ‘Jumanji: The Next Level’ cast in Mexico SPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSerena won her first match but lost in the semifinals. Elina Svitolina of Ukraine dominated the event, winning 17 straight points during victories over Venus and CoCo Vandeweghe before defeating China’s Zhang Shuai 10-3 to win $250,000.Serena was playing singles for the first time this year as she prepares to return to the WTA Tour for the first time since giving birth to her daughter, Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr., on Sept. 1. The 23-time Grand Slam singles champion would later tell Vogue Magazine in an interview that she developed several small blood clots in her lungs after giving birth. She had played just once this year, losing a Fed Cup doubles match with Venus last month, and hasn’t played a singles match on tour since winning the 2017 Australian Open, where she beat Venus in the final.Serena won her first match against Marion Bartoli of France, the former Wimbledon champion who is ending a 4 1/2-year retirement, but lost 13-11 to Zhang in the semifinals. She said she was having fun playing again and was excited for the future.“I think everyone should have high expectations,” Williams said in an on-court interview after her loss. “You should always believe in yourself even if no one else does.”Her coach certainly does. With Serena returning this week in Indian Wells, California, Patrick Mouratoglou told WTATennis.com he had high expectations for the three remaining Grand Slam tournaments this season. He said he sees the same determination in practice, but wouldn’t know if being a mother had changed her until he saw her competing.Venus already knows what to expect.ADVERTISEMENT Larry Legend: Nance gets career game as Cavs power past Pistons LATEST STORIES Read Next MOST READ Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Google honors food scientist, banana ketchup inventor and war hero Maria Orosa Pussycat Dolls set for reunion tour after 10-year hiatus John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s weddingcenter_img Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university PLAY LIST 01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Families in US enclave in north Mexico hold sad Thanksgiving Serena Williams, of the United States, applauds her opponent Marion Bartoli during the first round of the Tie Break Tens tennis tournament at Madison Square Garden, Monday, March 5, 2018, in New York. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)NEW YORK — Venus Williams gave a scouting report on her warmup partner that sounded the same as always.Serena Williams is back, and her game hasn’t left.ADVERTISEMENT “She’s got power, depth. She knows how to play,” Venus said. “Yeah, awesome game.”The Williams sisters were the headliners Monday night in the Tie Break Tens tournament in Madison Square Garden, an eight-woman event in which all matches were 10-point tiebreakers, instead of the usual games and sets.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch run Typhoon ‘Tisoy’ threatens Games “I mean, the matches are definitely a good way to know where you are, but obviously she knows how to play,” the 37-year-old Venus said. “She’s going to bring that instinct on the court with her, so I don’t think she’s too worried about that.”Tie Break Tens held its first tournament in the U.S. after five events in Europe and Australia. The remainder of the field included Sorana Cirstea of Romania and Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia, who retired last year.Svitolina, the highest-ranked player in the field at No. 4, continued her strong play to start the season after a winning a tour-high five titles in 2017. The winner of two tournaments already this year, she won the last seven points to break away from a 3-3 tie against Venus, then swept Vandeweghe 10-0.“Of course, winning the first tournament of the year was a great start for me,” Svitolina said. “It’s always tough to transfer the work we do in the offseason, so this was a good sign that I’m moving the right way and I’m very, very happy that I played good tennis throughout the beginning of the year and just from here I can go only up.”Vandeweghe, a New York native, jumped at the chance to play at MSG. Her grandfather, Ernie, and uncle Kiki, now an NBA executive, both played for the New York Knicks.“I didn’t have to think too long,” he said. “Once I was asked by my coach, Pat (Cash), if I was going to be available around that time, I said, ‘Yeah, I’ll make myself available.’ So it didn’t take much thinking.”She was on the U.S. team in last month’s victory over the Netherlands in North Carolina and enjoys seeing both Williams sisters still playing well. Venus reached two Grand Slam finals in 2017 and returned to the top five of the rankings.She competed Monday night just a few days after the 20th anniversary of her first WTA Tour title in Oklahoma City as a 17-year-old. Many players have taken up the sport in years since because of the Williams sisters, and Venus hoped more might be interested in this format since they were.“If that’s the result, yeah, that would be great,” she said. “I hope that is the result, that this is a lot of excitement and more people start playing. It’s a great sport. The sport is great for everyone of all ages.” Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

Bangladesh mission yet to confirm London mosque attack victims identity

first_imgForensic investigators work at the scene of an attack where a van was driven at Muslim worshippers outside a mosque in Finsbury Park in North London. Photo: ReutersPress minister at the Bangladesh High Commission in London Nadeem Qadir has said they are yet to confirm whether the man killed in the terror attack in front of a London mosque is from Bangladesh or not.“We’ll update you as soon as we have the details,” he told news agency UNB.A vehicle struck pedestrians near a mosque in north London early Monday morning, killing one man, said to be a Bangladeshi, and injuring 10 in what police are investigating as a terrorist incident.The Telegraph online in its report claimed the victim was an ‘elderly Bangladeshi man’ who had just left the Muslim Welfare Mosque on Seven Sisters Road.Police said the 48-year-old man who was driving the car has been arrested and taken to a hospital as a precaution. He will be given a mental health evaluation, reports AP from London.The crash occurred at a time when the multiethnic neighbourhood was crowded with Muslims leaving the Finsbury Park mosque after Ramadan prayers.London police said the driver was detained by the crowd until police arrived.The crash occurred shortly after midnight when police received reports of a collision between a van and pedestrians. Police said eight of the injured were hospitalised; the other two had minor injuries and were treated at the scene.Witnesses reported seeing police give emergency heart massage to at least one of the injured.The Muslim Council tweeted that worshippers had been struck and said its prayers were with the victims.London police closed the area to normal traffic. A helicopter circled above the area as a large cordon was established to keep motorists and pedestrians away.Witnesses told Sky News and other British media that the van seemed to have veered and hit people intentionally.Mohammed Shafiq of the Ramadhan Foundation, a Muslim organisation, said that based on eyewitness reports it seems to be a ‘deliberate attack against innocent Muslims’.The Finsbury Park mosque was associated with extremist ideology for several years after the 9/11 attacks in the United States but was shut down and reorganised. It has not been associated with radical views for more than a decade.UK rime minister Theresa May described the crash as a ‘terrible incident’. The statement from her office said her thoughts were with the injured, their loved ones and emergency services who responded to the scene.Britain’s terrorist alert has been set at ‘severe’ meaning an attack is highly likely.last_img read more

2 separate road mishaps in city none injured

first_imgKolkata: The city witnessed two separate road accidents on Sunday morning that could have turned fatal had they taken place in the rush hours.It was around 4.40 am when a private car hit a light post on Southern Avenue. Though there was no report of any injury, the police took the car to the police station. The preliminary investigation revealed that the driver of the car had lost control and the vehicle hit the light post. The front portion of the vehicle was damaged. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeThe driver of the car had, however, managed to escape from the place soon after the accident. The police are trying to ascertain the exact reason behind the accident. The investigating officers are also trying to find out whether the driver was in an inebriated state. Another accident took place near Zoological Garden at Alipore in which a car moved onto the pavement after the driver suddenly fell ill. According to the police, it was a narrow escape from a major accident as the car moved onto the pavement that remains congested in the rush hours. The car was headed towards Vidyasagar Setu from Chetla side. There were two persons sitting on the rear seats of the car. They found that the driver was feeling unwell and soon he lost control on the vehicle and it went up onto the pavement. The passengers sprinkled water on the driver’s face and he was finally taken to hospital in another car.last_img read more

A Hale County Grand Jury has indicted a man nearly

first_imgA Hale County Grand Jury has indicted a man nearly a year after two people were killed in a boating collision in Moundville.Ricky Latham was indicted on two counts of murder, three counts of assault and two counts of reckless endangerment.Destiny Graben and Ricky Glover were killed in boating collision investigators say Latham caused on July 4, 2018.Investigators with the Alabama Law Enforcement Association said Latham’s blood alcohol level was .234, nearly three times the legal limit of .08.READ MOREUpdate: Reckless Murder Case Heading to Grand Jury: Oct. 1, 2018Man Facing Murder Charges Being Sued by Mother of Victim: Aug. 15, 2018last_img read more