The EU-funded OPERA project has published wave resource data collected at Marmok-A5 wave energy device’s demonstration site at the Biscay Marine Energy Platform (Bimep).The data, obtained through the TRIAXYS buoy from the Canadian manufacturer AXYS Technologies, spans from the buoy’s deployment date in December 2016 until October 2017, according to Tecnalia, a member of the consortium behind the OPERA project.The wave sensor is located at 87 meters water depth, 300 meters up-wave from the Oceantec Marine Energy’s Marmok-A5 wave energy converter.Statistical wave data are calculated from 20-minute time series, allowing 3 measurements per hour, according to Tecnalia.A wave analysis is run directly on the TRIAXYS sensor, providing zero-crossing statistics, spectral statistics and both directional and non-directional wave spectra from the measurements acquired from the wave conditions.The software used onboard the TRIAXYS sensor includes a motion analysis algorithm to analyses the measured data from the accelerometers, rate gyros, and the compass, and an algorithm to resolve the directional and non-directional spectra of sea state from the previously analyzed data.The collected data is now free for download through ZENODO research data repository.The instrument was deployed to characterize individual waves and wave groups and better assess the performance characteristics of Marmok-A5 device, OPERA informed earlier.Marmok-A5, a floating oscillating water column type of wave energy device, was deployed at Bimep site, located off the north coast of Spain, in mid-October last year as part of the OPERA project.Project OPERA (Open Sea Wave Operating Experience to Reduce Energy Cost) involves the consortium of 12 members working together to halve the cost of wave energy.
Marine diesel fuel spill was reported at the APM Terminal in Bayonne, New Jersey, on April 25, according to the US Coast Guard.APM Terminal notified the National Response Center that the fuel spilled into Newark Bay while a ship was refueling pier-side at the terminal.The source of the spill has been secured and Coast Guard pollution responders were sent to the scene.Commercial clean-up crews have deployed boom to contain as much of the fuel as possible, while simultaneously recovering product from the waterway.Coast Guard marine inspectors are also on scene to assess the condition of the vessels involved and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is providing trajectory models to assist in the product recovery.An investigation was launched to determine the size and cause of the spill.
Image source: Martin CountyA beach restoration project has ended in Martin County and Bathtub Beach is once again open to the public.Crews have been working since February to repair damages from Hurricane Irma, placing 140,000 cubic yards of sand and replanting dunes with sea oats, a critical component of dune stabilization and shore protection.The beach nourishment project restored the beach and dunes that provide significant protection for infrastructure, the county said in their latest announcement.Additional work at the beach includes new restroom facilities and improved beach access.Nourishment projects are a normal part of conservation and coastal management.[mappress mapid=”25091″]
Image source: Mark Villar facebook pageThe Government of Philippines’ Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) today officially started the Manila Bay dredging operations – from the Manila Yacht Club breakwater to the United States Embassy in Manila.Under the project, approximately 225,000m³ of silt is set to be removed from the mentioned areas, the Philippine News Agency (PNA) reported today.DPWH Secretary, Mark Villar, said that the heavy equipment composed of amphibious excavators, dumping scows, dump trucks, debris segregator, street sweepers and vacuum sewer jet cleaners are deployed in the area and other strategic locations for the cleanup operations.This event marks the full-blast dredging within this critical section of Manila Bay. The Bureau of Equipment (BOE), Regional and District Engineering Offices in Metro Manila have deployed a total of 28 machines and 50 personnel to operate 16 hours a day, six days a week, said the secretary during the launching of the Manila dredging program.“Excavation will be the major mechanism for the removal of the accumulated pollutants in Manila Bay. Through our hardworking crew and equipment fleet, we aim to de-silt within 150 meters from the shoreline of Manila Bay,” Villar said.DPWH-BOE Director, Toribio Noel Ilao, added that implementation of de-silting activities will be divided into five sectors, each ranging from 200m to 300m long, until the entire 1.5km is finished.Each sector will be de-silted approximately within 90 to 120 days.
Ocean Power Technologies, has received a new US patent for its Power Take-Off (PTO) System which is the mechanical heart of the PB3 PowerBuoy. Ocean waves that pass-by the PowerBuoy create a relative linear motion between the float and the spar components of the PB3. The PTO system takes the linear motion of the float through the input shaft and converts it into rotary motion via a ball-screw. The ball-screw drives a generator that produces electrical power thus completing the wave energy to electrical energy conversion, OPT explains.George H. Kirby, president and CEO of OPT, stated, “This new patent provides significant additional protection for our proprietary technology that enables the PowerBuoy to be deployed and to perform autonomously in the toughest waters in the world. We continue to grow our extensive intellectual property patent portfolio, to capitalize on our prior investments in research & development, and to protect our breakthrough technology, which enables us to deliver the maximum value to our shareholders.”The PTO system has a mechanical efficiency of more than 90% and an expected minimum three years between service for continuous operation in the most severe environments, including the North Sea. The PTO system also contains a mechanical brake for locking the buoy during transportation and under storm conditions to prevent damage to the components.This patent includes two different designs of the PTO system. The first design offsets the input rod and the ball-screw axes, which is currently being manufactured and deployed. The second design is based on a concentric input rod and ball-screw arrangement, which further simplifies the system and may be used in future PB3 PowerBuoy deployments, the company noted.The newly issued patent increases the OPT’s US issued patent portfolio to 66 patents, of which 47 are active.Outside of the U.S. OPT has been issued 237 patents across 13 countries.
Norfolk Dredging Co., Chesapeake, Virginia, has won a $124,460,600 firm-fixed-price contract for the next phase of the Charleston harbor dredging project.According to the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), dredging will be performed in Charleston, South Carolina, with an estimated completion date of July 5, 2022.This contract covers the Lower Harbor to Wando Welch Terminal portion of the project and involves the removal of more than 11 million cubic yards of material.The Charleston Harbor Post 45 Deepening Project has progressed more quickly than any federal deepening project to date.In the fall of 2017, the Army Corps’ Charleston District awarded the first two construction contracts of $47 million and $213 million to deepen the Entrance Channel.The construction started in the Charleston Harbor Entrance Channel in March 2018 and the entire project will take 40-76 months depending on full-funding, dredge availability, weather, and a variety of other factors.In March 2019, the President’s Fiscal Year 2020 Budget included $138 million for the 52-foot Charleston Harbor Deepening Project.The work that will be completed under this contract, along with the contracts already underway in the Entrance Channel, will complete a full and useable segment from the ocean to the South Carolina Ports Authority’s Wando Welch Terminal.USACE has maintained Charleston Harbor for more than 140 years and has dredged it every year during that time to ensure the channel is at the required federal project depth, spending approximately $10-15 million and removing 2-3 million cubic yards of maintenance material from the harbor floor each year.Construction to deepen the harbor to the now federally authorized 45 foot depth began in 1999 and was completed in 2004.
Illustration purposes only (Image courtesy of Modec)Delfin advances FLNG project with SHI, Black & Veatch partnershipDelfin Midstream initiated cooperation with Samsung Heavy Industries and Black & Veatch in the fourth quarter of 2018 and completed a pre-FEED study for a newbuild FLNG vessel in the first half of 2019.Sempra, Mitsui ink LNG projects development MoUSan Diego-based energy company and LNG operator Sempra Energy has inked a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Mitsui & Co. (Mitsui) for the development of LNG export projects.Petronas inks LNG bunkering vessel charter with MISC, AvenirMalaysian energy giant Petronas, through its unit Petronas LNG, has signed the time charter party with MISC Berhad and Avenir LNG to charter a 7,500 cubic meters of liquefied natural gas bunker vessel.PitPoint opens Europe’s first shore-to-ship LNG bunker station in CologneDutch company PitPoint said it has opened Europe’s first shore-to-ship Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) bunker station for inland shipping at the Niehler Hafen in Cologne.MODEC scores Barossa FPSO contract win with ConocoPhillipsJapanese provider of offshore floating solutions MODEC has signed a contract with ConocoPhillips to supply a floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel for the Barossa field, offshore Australia. LNG World News Staff
Shares in Longboat Energy, a new North Sea player created by the former management team of Faroe Petroleum, started trading on the London’s AIM market on Thursday.Source: PixabayLongboat, a company established by the former management team of Faroe Petroleum to fast track the creation of a new full-cycle North Sea oil and gas company, announced on Thursday the admission of its entire issued ordinary share capital to trading on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange at 8:00 a.m. today under the ticker LBE.To remind, Longboat announced its intention to proceed with an initial public offering to raise gross proceeds of up to £10 million and to seek admission of its shares to trading on AIM in mid-November.Earlier this week, the company successfully raised gross proceeds of £10 million, comprising £0.8 million from the founding shareholders in the placing and prior to admission and £9.2 million from institutional investors participating in the placing. All money has been invested at 100p per share.Following admission, the company is now an “investing company” for the AIM Rules for Companies.Longboat Energy has been established by the former management team of North Sea player Faroe Petroleum. Faroe was taken over earlier this year by DNO in a hostile takeover launched late last year.Faroe’s former executive directors are now at the helm of Longboat with Graham Stewart in the role of the chairman, Jonathan Cooper is the CFO, and Helge Hammer is the company’s CEO.The directors believe that now is a unique opportunity to build a meaningful North Sea E&P on a relatively short time scale due to recent dislocation in the oil and gas industry, which has caused significant exits from the North Sea.Offshore Energy Today StaffSpotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit.
Rystad added that many Chinese workers received a holiday extension in early February after the Chinese New Year, aimed at limiting the spread of the coronavirus disease.However, even as workers return to the yards, Rystad Energy expects projects may still have to contend with 30 percent to 50 percent fewer work hours.Construction progress may also be slowed by supply delays, as the delivery of bulk materials, modules and equipment are hampered by transportation restrictions both within and outside of mainland China. The plant utilization rate in China’s equipment manufacturing sector has now fallen to less than 10 percent.Rystad also pointed out that project management would face severe issues as travel bans restrict contractors, engineering firms, certification companies, and E&P officials from accessing shipyards.This became prominent after the coronavirus spread to the Lombardy region of Italy, forcing major contractor Saipem to ask thousands of workers to stay home until further notice.It is not yet clear when the effects of the epidemic will ease, but the situation will worsen in March and the impact of the virus is not limited to Chinese fabrication yards as it affects the entire global service industry.As the virus has caused reduced industrial activity and travel restrictions in China and beyond, much of this year’s global expected oil-demand growth will be lost. Earlier this month, Rystad heavily revised its annual global oil demand growth forecast down by 25 percent to 820,000 barrels per day (bpd) in 2020 due to the effects of the coronavirus.Oil prices have already dipped below the $50 per barrel threshold and could fall further if OPEC does not implement additional supply cuts. Lower oil prices will result in oil and gas companies scaling down their flexible investment budgets, especially shale operators in the US as well as some offshore exploration and production (E&P) players.“Our current assessment forecasts that COVID-19 could result in global E&P investments falling by around $30 billion in 2020 – a significant hit to the industry,” Martinsen stated, adding that some of these investments are likely to come back in 2021.Spotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product, or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit. The outbreak of the coronavirus is set to cause extensive staffing and supply shortages as well as delays on floating production, storage and offloading (FPSO) vessels under construction in China, South Korea, and Singapore, according to energy intelligence firm Rystad Energy.Illustration; Image: SP MacRystad said on Friday that 22 out of a global total of 28 FPSOs under construction were being built at shipyards in China, South Korea, and Singapore.According to the company, the coronavirus outbreak could delay project deliveries by at least three to six months.If the epidemic escalates, the delays could increase to nine or even 12 months, especially taking into account the restricted time windows for heavy transport, installation and hook-up.The average development time for an FPSO is 36 months, meaning that companies could face a 30 percent delay.Rystad Energy partner and head of oilfield service research Audun Martinsen said: “Although operators and contractors are looking into ways to make up for some of the time that will be lost by fast-tracking other stages of development, we anticipate first oil or gas for these projects will face clear delays.”At present, 28 FPSOs are under development globally, 15 of which are being built in China. Seven are under construction in COVID-19 hotspot South Korea as well as in Singapore, while six additional vessels are being constructed elsewhere.
Business developments & projects Posted: 3 months ago Guidance includes the ConocoPhillips acquisition from the completion date of 28 May 2020, when Santos’ interest in Bayu-Undan and Darwin LNG increased to 68.4 per cent (previously 11.5 per cent). The strong production result was driven by higher domestic gas production in Western Australia, continued strong onshore production and a higher equity interest in Bayu-Undan following completion of the ConocoPhillips acquisition, Santos said in its statement. In the first half of the year, LNG sales volumes reached 1.77 million tons, up from 1.48 million tons in the first six months of 2019. Second-quarter sales volumes reached 24.6 mmboe, up from 22.3 mmboe in the previous quarter and 22.4 mmboe in the corresponding quarter last year. LNG sales revenues for the quarter reached $400 million, $3 million up on the previous quarter. Quarterly sales revenue of $785 million was 11 per cent lower than the prior quarter primarily due to lower liquids prices partially offset by higher domestic gas and LNG sales revenues. Australian LNG player Santos reported record production levels in the second quarter of 2020. Courtesy of Santos The average realized LNG price reached $8.27 per mmBtu which compares to $8.88 per mmBtu. LNG sales volumes reached 920,000 tons for the second quarter, up from 851,600 tons in the previous quarter. To remind, Santos’ LNG sales volumes were at 714,600 tons in the second quarter of 2019. Year-to-date sales volumes reached 46.9 mmboe, up from 45.2 mmboe in the first six months of 2019. Guidance including the ConocoPhillips acquisition is $8.50-8.90/boe, which includes Santos’ higher equity interest in Bayu-Undan from the completion date. Posted: 3 months ago Categories: Upstream production cost guidance for the base business (excluding ConocoPhillips acquisition) is unchanged at $6.70- 7.10/boe, consistent with the cost reduction initiatives announced in March. The company said its production hit 20.6 mmboe, a record for Santos and 15 per cent up on the previous quarter. Production guidance updated Santos has updated its production guidance to 83-88 mmboe and sales volume guidance to 101-107 mmboe. ConocoPhillips closes sale of northern Australia assets to Santos Half-year production was up 4 per cent to a record 38.5 mmboe. Santos’ disciplined operating model continues to drive strong onshore performance – first half Cooper Basin and Queensland equity gas production was up 18 per cent and 5 per cent, respectively Bayu-Undan has a higher unit upstream production cost ($21.75/boe in 2019) compared to the balance of the Santos upstream portfolio.