April 19, 2018 KUSI Newsroom Police seek public help finding hit-and-run driver who injured Good Samaritan Posted: April 19, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — Police Thursday sought the public’s help to find the hit-and-run driver whose Subaru station wagon struck and injured a Good Samaritan last week when the man stopped to help a disabled motorist in Ocean Beach.The crash happened just after midnight on April 9 in the 2900 block of Sunset Cliffs Boulevard near Robb Field, where the 26-year-old victim stopped his Lexus sedan to help two people stranded in a second Lexus that was broken down, San Diego police said.“While the victim was standing next to the disabled vehicle, an unknown suspect driving southbound on Sunset Cliffs Boulevard struck the victim and the disabled vehicle,” Sgt. Victoria Houseman said. “The suspect continued driving southbound and fled the scene.”The victim was taken to UCSD Medical Center with a fractured lower right leg and internal injuries, Houseman said. He was later released and is now recovering from his injuries at home.Based on evidence left at the scene, the suspect vehicle is believed to be a green 1998 or 1999 Subaru Outback Legacy station wagon, the sergeant said. It sustained damage to the right front side, including the grill, a fog lamp and the right side mirror.Anyone with information on the driver or the suspect vehicle was urged to call SDPD’s traffic division at (858) 495-7805 or San Diego County Crime Stoppers’ anonymous tip line at (888) 580-8477. Crime Stoppers is offering up to a $1,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest, and anonymous tipsters can also contact the agency at sdcrimestoppers.org. Categories: Local San Diego News, Traffic & Accidents FacebookTwitter
Tags Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? Mobile Security Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 Share your voice Apple 0 Post a comment Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it Aug 31 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors See All • The iPhone XS Max could fetch hundreds of dollars on the black market. CNET A New York crime ring that allegedly stole hundreds of iPhones over the past seven years has been busted, according to Quartz. All told, the group reportedly got its hands on more than $19 million worth of the devices.Six people were charged in the case, which was filed by federal prosecutors in New York state in April. The complaint was just unsealed, according to Quartz. The felony charges range from mail fraud to conspiracy to identity theft.It’s not unusual for scammers to focus their efforts on Apple’s iPhones given the device’s high price tag, which can run as much as $1,450 per phone. Just a couple of months ago, a pair of Chinese engineering students studying in Oregon allegedly conned Apple out of hundreds of thousands of dollars by exchanging counterfeit iPhones for new ones. And last year, another New York group was nabbed for allegedly stealing more than $1 million worth of iPhones.The group that was most recently caught reportedly ran a scam in which some members used stolen identities to pose as cellphone subscribers. With fake IDs and debit cards they’d allegedly go to mobile phone stores across the US and say they wanted to upgrade their phones to a new iPhone. Then they reportedly shipped the iPhones back to the crime ring’s New York headquarters. People there would allegedly sell the iPhones on the black market.The cellphone subscribers whose identities were stolen ended up being charged for the upgraded phones, according to Quartz. The crime ring reportedly signed the victims up for monthly payments, so that they wouldn’t notice the charges right away. Court filings didn’t specify how many people were allegedly affected and how many phones were reportedly stolen, but in one incident 250 phones were discovered in dozens of packages being sent to New York. The crime ring was ultimately busted by an unnamed person who worked at an overnight shipping service and became suspicious of all of the packages being sent out of state that weren’t addressed to a physical business or home address.A trial is pending for the six people charged in the scam, according to Quartz. They all pleaded not guilty and were released on $100,000 bonds.Apple didn’t respond to a request for comment. reading • Scam artists reportedly stole $19 million worth of iPhones Apple
Kolkata: In a first, smart gates have been installed for tickets entry, to ensure smooth management of passengers availing vessel service on river Hooghly from Millennium Park. Suvendu Adhikari, the state Transport minister, inaugurated the same on Tuesday.It is a pilot project and with its success, similar smart gates will be installed at different such points. With installation of the smart gates, tickets or cards will no longer have to be checked manually and it will help in proper maintenance of the system. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeAdhikari said that installation of the smart gates will make the functioning of the entire system much better. He further said that all steps have been taken to develop the infrastructure for a better service in the inland waterways. It will reduce pressure on roadways. Moreover, people will also enjoy a more comfortable journey.He said that a major project has been taken up to give a new dimension to the waterways transport facility from Haldia to Farakka. The entire project will be funded by the World Bank and the work of the project will start as early as possible.At the same time, Adhikari also inaugurated 15 passenger vessels and RoRo vessels that will operate on river Hooghly on Tuesday. The vessels include 11 wooden and four steel vessels. Each of the vessels has the capacity of carrying 100 passengers at a time.
Kolkata: The city witnessed two separate road accidents on Sunday morning that could have turned fatal had they taken place in the rush hours.It was around 4.40 am when a private car hit a light post on Southern Avenue. Though there was no report of any injury, the police took the car to the police station. The preliminary investigation revealed that the driver of the car had lost control and the vehicle hit the light post. The front portion of the vehicle was damaged. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeThe driver of the car had, however, managed to escape from the place soon after the accident. The police are trying to ascertain the exact reason behind the accident. The investigating officers are also trying to find out whether the driver was in an inebriated state. Another accident took place near Zoological Garden at Alipore in which a car moved onto the pavement after the driver suddenly fell ill. According to the police, it was a narrow escape from a major accident as the car moved onto the pavement that remains congested in the rush hours. The car was headed towards Vidyasagar Setu from Chetla side. There were two persons sitting on the rear seats of the car. They found that the driver was feeling unwell and soon he lost control on the vehicle and it went up onto the pavement. The passengers sprinkled water on the driver’s face and he was finally taken to hospital in another car.
Cooch Behar: Cooch Behar district administration is set to organise street plays to launch a massive awareness campaign for the Swasthya Sathi project.Kaushik Saha, district magistrate and Sumit Ganguly, chief medical officer (health) launched the campaign and flagged off the tableaux. The main purpose will be to inform the people about the Swasthya Sathi project. Saha said that in Cooch Behar, the total number of beneficiaries has crossed 4.66 lakh. Attempts are on to bring more people under the scheme. Samir Karmakar, head of Natya Dal, said that they will enact street plays to create awareness among the people, over the next 10 days.